It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SEI Name: Milo
  1. What race is the best?
  2. Should I start with a harvestor or a freighter?
  3. Is it better to trade or gather?
  4. How do I move?
  5. Can I see what ports are buying/selling before I go there?
  6. Is it better to use one big ship or lots of smaller ships?
  7. How do I make more money?
  8. What are artifacts?
  9. What are tech units?
  10. How do I get a planet?
  11. Can my ships be killed?
  12. What are black markets and how do I find one?
  13. How many turns do I get and how often do I get them?

1. What race is the best?
    There is no "best" race. Each race has advantages and disadvantages to various aspects of the game. Before deciding your race you should determine what the main area of gameplay you want to focus on is (Do you want to primarily trade, gather, fight other ships, or raid ports and planets?).

For a new player the races basically break down into:
    • Trading: Keldoran, Human
    • Gathering: Human, Keldoran
    • Ship Combat: Rad`Ni, Dranaar, Vephar
    • Raiding: Vephar, Dranaar, Rad`Ni

Of course, any of the races can do anything, some are just better at different areas. Many new players like to go with Human because they are a well rounded race with almost no penalties allowing them to try out all aspects of the game more effectively.

For the complete list of races and their disadvantages/advantages check out the races help files.

2. Should I start with a harvestor or a freighter?
    Choosing your starting ship is as simple as deciding if you want to start the round off by making money through gathering or trading (you can always change later on). If you want to start out trading then go with a freighter. If you want to start out gathering then go with a harvestor.

3. Is it better to trade or gather?
    Trading and Gathering are the two ways most players will make money at the start of a round. Both have the advantages and disadvantages.

Generally speaking trading will make more money and earn faction reputation faster. However, trading is far more time consuming and takes a lot more patience. Gathering will earn more experience (assuming two equal costing fleets) than trading, but early on it will actually make less due to the fact that you'll have less money to spend on your fleet. However, gathering takes far less time to do so many players still prefer it.

More information on trading and gathering can be found here.

4. How do I move?
    Moving is done using the Navigation Star located a little ways down on the left side of your screen. The Navigation Star is covered in the help files here.

5. Can I see what ports are buying/selling before I go there?
    You can use the mini-map or galaxy maps to view what ports are buying and selling (clicking on the mini-map on the right side of your screen will open the full galaxy map in a new window). Both maps work the same. Stars are represented as a white star whereas locations with ports are shown as a purple star. Mousing over the purple stars will show a popup of what that port is buying and selling.

6. Is it better to use one big ship or lots of smaller ships?
    In almost all areas of the game it is better to use a fleet of smaller ships than it is to use one heavily upgraded ship.

7. How do I make more money?
    The primary ways of making money are gathering and trading. Collecting and selling artifacts can also bring in a small amount of credits.

8. What are artifacts?
    Ancient alien artifacts can sometimes be found floating around in space. These artifacts can be taken to shady dealers and traded in for reputation, tech units or credits.

More on artifacts can be found here.

9. What are tech units?
    Tech Units are a form of currency. Tech Units are used to purchase some ships and weapons as well as build weapons on planets. Tech Units can be earned by trading in artifacts, research centers on planets, or from selling goods to ports (you will sometimes be tipped tech units when selling goods to ports).

10. How do I get a planet?
    Player owned planets can be obtained by either raiding an existing one and claiming it or by constructing one using a genesis device. Keep in mind that it is not recommended trying to build and defend a planet when you are first learning the game.

11. Can my ships be killed?
    They sure can! There are many dangers lurking in SEI. Don't worry though as long as you have safe turns left. The amount of safe turns you have left are shown next to your regular turns on the left menu. Once you run out of safe turns you'll be open to attacks from NPC's and other players. Until then, take your time and learn the ropes as you can not be attacked by anyone before your safe turns run out. You're safe from harm, for now...

12. What are black markets and how do I find one?
    Black Markets or Shady Dealers are small outposts in space. The outposts can not be docked at. Interacting with one allows you to buy various equipment, trade-in artifacts and more. To find one visit any homeworld and click on the "Tavern" link.

13. How many turns do I get and how often do I get them?
    Everyone is given 130 turns per hour during the hourly maintenance.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]